Friday, May 16, 2014

Plans for Make a Garment a Month: May

I recently joined the Make a Garment a Month challenge and these are my May plans for my first challenge garment. I'm really looking forward to participating in this monthly challenge where one sews a garment a month for oneself, which is something I definitely find difficult to do.

makeagarmentamonthchallenge.blogspot.com  
But why is it so hard? Well, first off, there are so many cute, fun little clothes to make for my little boy. Second, I suppose I focus on him so much and making things for him, that I tend to forget to do things for me too. Although, I must admit that when I make something for him, it is also a bit for me because I just enjoy the process of sewing and knitting so much. I think one other thing that holds me back is that I'm just so used to making clothing for him that I'm not used to making women's clothing. Believe it or not, I've never made a dress before!

So, for my MAGM May challenge garment, I'm going to make a dress. This is a dress that I've wanted to make for about a year now: Simplicity 2215. I have seen so many lovely versions of this dress such as Karyn's at 'Make Something' Constellation version. I'll be making view A of the dress and the only current modification that I think I will be making is to not put pockets in, as I don't tend to use them much in dresses.



I have had a particular fabric put away for this project for nearly a year (I think). It is a Nani IRO print called 'Woodblock Pocho' and the material is a cotton which I believe was referred to as 'Wata'. (A gift from my lovely husband.)

I realized that my approach to sewing for myself and sewing for the men of my life is completely different. For my son or my husband, I'll find a fabric I like based on a pattern I want to make, and I just make it. For me, well, I dilly-dally. I wait it out. I postpone. I tell myself that my skills are not up to it. Kind of like for my Confetti top that I made from a Japanese pattern. (That one was two years in the making!) I was so happy with the result and it made me want to sew more for myself...which also gave me the push to join this challenge!

I'm hoping this is going to be a good experience, making my first dress. I'm proceeding cautiously. I'm going to make a quick muslin to check the fit and then on with the real construction!

I hope to be back with a completed garment soon!

8 comments:

  1. It looks like a nice pattern. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the dress and fabric combination! I'm actually about to do something quite similar. A sleeveless dress with gathered skirt using a yellow and white stripe cotton. Can't wait to see your finished results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I can't wait to see your dress! The fabric sounds lovely. I've grown to absolutely adore yellow and I want to use it practically all the time!

      Delete
  3. Hi Audrey, I'm glad you are not postpoing any longer - little simple makes for you should fit in around your other gorgeous makes -a and I agree, children's clothes are so much fun. So are yours going to be :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah, for the encouraging words!It's true that simple, wearable makes will definitely help me get used to sewing for myself. I finally was able to start knitting some much needed cardigans for myself this year, so, with the help of the monthly challenge, I should be on my way to sewing regularly for myself too!

      Delete
  4. Oh you really have to make this dress. It's going to be darling in this pattern with this fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm almost done working on the dress and I really like the way it's turning out, especially because of the fabric!

      Delete